Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Life Soundtrack!


Life Soundtrack: Songs of Innocence and Experience



I haven’t really had that many exciting, extravagant or tragic events in my life; I am what you might call very ordinary. But of course, like all other teenagers, (and pretty much the whole of society) I spend loads of my time listening to music. And with those constant tunes in my ears, I tend to connect certain songs with people, places, events, and even feelings. Throughout my life, I have had certain songs stand out for being very connective with an event. I have listened and tried to put them in chronological order, and for the most part they are. I hope you enjoy the Sound Track of Mim, and if you ever want to go on to YouTube, you should give it a listen.



“Here Comes the Sun” by the Beatles



Whenever I hear the beginning notes of this song, I have very strong happy feelings. I can just picture a sun coming up over a mountain to greet excited faces ready to be refreshed after a long, cold winter. “It’s been a long, cold, lonely winter. It seems like years since it’s been here.” This winter (and practically all the other winters I have had in my life) has seemed to take forever. But it does take a winter to realize how much I really love the warm sun. Who wouldn’t associate this song with the joyous times of summer?



“Somewhere Only We Know” by Keane



Until the third grade, I was homeschooled. In this song there is a specific line that reminds me out growing out of homeschool and has my argument for why I should go to public school, this line is as follows: “I’m getting older and need something to rely on.” I guess this doesn’t remind my exactly of homeschool itself, but the words appropriately show the feelings that I felt. I remember feeling like I was maturing, and another line from the song “Oh simple thing, where have you gone” reminds me of how I felt.



“I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz



In the sixth grade, I went to one of my best friend Josie’s cabin. I remember I had just been becoming familiar and fond with Jason Mraz’s songs, and upon meeting Josie’s dad, I thought that they looked so much alike. Whenever I hear this song, I think of her dad, and going to her cabin that fine winter week!



“Redemption Song” Bob Marley



In fifth grade, my sister, my dad, and I went to England to visit relatives, and just see and experience things in general. The plane ride was broken into two parts, 9 hours, and 3 hours. Luckily, I had my trusty brand new mp3, but the only music I had was Bob Marley. For those long hours on the plane, I listened to Bob nonstop.



“Island in the Sun” Weezer



In 2009 (I do believe) I went to Mexico with my dear friend Myrinda. One night, (yes, it was night, and to my excitement we didn’t get eaten by sharks, though it is unknown if there were some lurking around. And until my dad told us “we didn’t know what was in there” we had no intent of getting out of the water until sun rise!) the waves were ginormous. We were out there  on our little boogie boards singing our modified version of the song “Island in the Sun” which included all of the colors of the rainbow, Oh, good times, good times.



“Nobody’s Home” by Avril Lavigne



8th grade was a rough year. I went through this phase with so much drama and just teenagerness that I got really depressed and turned into a real punk. “Nobody’s Home” was my main jam when I was feeling down. I was sad, and this song sunk to my level. Just to give you a taste of this song: “She wants to go home, but nobody’s home, it’s where she lies, broken inside.”



“Banana Pancakes” by Jack Johnson



I made new friends earlier in this year, (Tori, Brandt, Shane, Jake, Alex, Myrinda, Eliza…ETC…) and one of the first times we were at the Nye’s, Seth was entertaining us by singing this song in various different voices.



“Happy” by Nevershoutnever



This was the first song that I learned on the ukulele, and was also the first of many songs that we would play in the “Ukulele Group” we formed. I think it also symbolizes the group of all our friends. “You make me happy, whether you know it or not”. We are all pretty weird but fit into the group perfectly in our own ways.



“Better Together” by Jack Johnson



November of this year, I went to California with Myrinda. During the car ride home (it was a daunting 15 hours) I decided to memorize the song “Better Together”. Memorizing a song in one sitting takes listening to the song over and over again, which can be a tedious task. This repetition has resulted in me thinking of California, or rather the car ride back from there, every time I hear it.



“Tighten Up” by The Black Keys



This song reminds me of moving because when I was organizing my parent’s closet (in which I earned $100) nobody else was home, and I was belting this song with all of my heart and soul.



“We are Young” by Fun, and “Sail” by Awolnation



Both of these songs remind me of my best friend Tori because I found out about both of these songs through her, and whenever we are in her car, we like to blast them (along with others) and yell, practically scream them. She does this dance to “We Are Young” that I have to do every time it plays. Haha.



“I Just want to Run” by The Downtown Fiction



As you probably expected, this reminds me of track, and just running in general. When it is track season, I get in the best shape, and like this title of this song states “I JUST WANT TO RUN.”



Thank you for looking into my life soundtrack. You have probably taken some things out of it that you may or may not have known before about me. I have a really fun filled life, with only one or two sad events taking place. I am pretty much your average Joe, but I may look at things differently than you, or any other average Tim might.

No comments:

Post a Comment