Sunday, May 6, 2012

I just cant think of anything fresh to write about. Enjoy some science!


          Water is one of the main factors of life. The planet is 74.3824% water. 97.5% of all water on Earth is salt water, 2.5% as fresh water. So, we don’t have much water that is drinkable, comparably. This article interested me, because everyone needs water, including me!

          Suat Irmak is a professor in biological system engineering. He is trying to make it so that less water is loss from evaporation from plants and soil. Nebraska uses a lot of water to irrigate crops. So he decided to do the research and experiments there. To try to save water from being unnecessarily evaporated, he has made an underground drip catching system to prevent it. There are also machines that measure how much water is being evaporated from the crops, so they can make the necessary changes and adjustments to save as much water as possible.

          My opinion on this study is that it is a good way to use their time and money since water is so vital to the survival of everything. But, as always, I will stick with my theory of leaving things as natural as possible. More problems could come to the surface after using this new system. I also don’t know why they would do that right now, when it has been raining so much. So, I think they should really take a long look at the different things that may come up. Determine whether it is really worth their time, and money.

          I know that it has been raining a lot lately because my basement got flooded, along with many others in my neighborhood. So, I don’t know why the rain shouldn’t just be used to water the crops, and let the natural water cycle go on in its ways that it was created to be made in. If “global warming” is really happening, then fresh water from glaciers and stuff will be melted and we will have that much more drinkable water. But I do support this, because you can never have enough water.


No comments:

Post a Comment